Homemade Almond Milk
So when I visited one of my best friends Amy, in Australia a year or so ago, I couldn't believe she made her own almond milk...and couldn't imagine taking the time to do that when its just so easy to get from the store. I didn't really think about it again until a friend and blogger that I follow @healthquest posted it on her stories last week and decided to give it a try.
Guys - this is SO EASY to make. Life changed. Here's all you need to know:
1. Soak almonds in water (just make sure they are all covered by an inch or so of water), for at least 12 hours.
2. Strain out that water and throw those almonds into a blender - should be a good one like a vitamix or ninja - you want to make sure your milk isn't grainy.
3. Pour in 4 parts water to the 1 part almonds. (I started with about a cup of almonds so, 4 cups of water)
4. Blend. For a while.
5. Strain almonds through a mesh sifter or nut bag (if you have one). The pulp thats leftover doesn't really have much taste (I obviously tried it haha) so you can toss it. Here is where I couldn't believe how creamy the milk looked already!!
6. Add a tsp of pure vanilla, a pinch of salt and a tbsp of maple syrup - and stir.
DONE! Bottle and enjoy. I also threw a cinnamon stick or 2 in one of the bottles i made so i could use it as coffee creamer, with a little extra flavor. I hope you all try doing this on your own and let me know what you think!!